question-icon

What causes radiating pain in left shoulder to the little finger?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: I have a shooting pain from my left shoulder (blade/back) down to the little finger when I'm sitting idle/stationary. The feeling of pain is like when the feet goes numb after sitting for a long time. I had this for more than 3-6 months. I used to go to the gym and lift weights. How could I get this addressed? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Can be a nerve root compression.

Detailed Answer:
The shooting pain from the shoulder to the little finger can be due to a muscle spasm in the area or a nerve related pain due to nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine.
This can happen due to a neck muscle spasm or a disc protrusion also.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon