What causes radiating pain in buttocks, behind the legs, feet and legs?
A neurological clinical examination followed by imaging is recommended
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
Sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort. I wish to share my experience with patients who come to me with similar problems.
1. Regularly I come across patients with similar symptoms in my clinical practice. In most people with low back ache, a cause in the spinal column and the vertebrae is important to be looked for. In some women a low back ache can be from a pelvic or gynecologic condition.
2. However, since your pain is involving the L 1 - L 3 level and is progressively increasing in intensity, you write 7 to 10 on pain scale, it might be from neurological cause and probably from pressure on the nerve roots. The spinal cord ends at L 1 and below this level there are nerve roots exiting the spinal canal. If there is any pinching of nerve roots or pressure over them then there is pain in lower back which can radiate to the legs.
3. In the above case, it is important to do a clinical neurological examination and then get x ray of lumbar spine and pelvis and MRI scan of the region. This will locate any cause in the spinal vertebrae, discs or any pressure over the nerves in its course. Any bone changes causing the problem will also be known.
In conclusion, I recommend you to consult your neurologist urgently and as get x ray of lumbar spine and pelvis and MRI of the region as required. Ultrasound scan pelvis might also be required in some patients.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Radiating pain up left leg ankle
- What causes radiating pain and tingling in thighs and legs
- Severe radiating pain causes
- Abdominal cramping with radiating pain in leg
- What causes radiating pain in chest when suffering from bronchitis
- Hemorrhoid cause radiating pain
- What could cause radiating pain from arm to breast
- Radiating pain causes
- Kidney infection radiating pain leg
- What causes radiating pain in the upper quadrant of abdomen