What causes radiating head pain after ESI procedure?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: After having an ESI at L4-5 one of my patients developed intermittent pain that radiates up to the base of her head. This pain is not affected by position, and is not a headache. Her CBC is normal and their is mild para-spinal tenderness just near the injection site. She has no change in bowel or bladder. She has no increase in sciatic pain, with some mild relief.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pian likely related to ESI procedure

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concerns.

ESI is known to cause some degree of discomfort at site of injection.

A possibility of injury to Dura matter can also exist.

The pain should settle down in 1 week.

I recommend oral tablets of naproxen to my patients. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe them to you.

In case the intermittent pain does not resolve in 1 week an MRI scan of the lumbar region is warranted.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina