• question-icon

What causes radiating back pain?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had for the last 2 days ciatica type total pain at my back from my throat down to my right shoulder. My head and neck is stooped over like a vulture. Went to bed last night at 8:oo PM AND could not lay in any position except on my back. To roll over to my left side [normal sleep position] was impossible. Putting my righthand fully under the back of my throat area and lifting while throwing my legs over the left bed edge and going thru maximum total searing pain at the back end of my skull was the only way I could get to a sitting position on the bed edge. I did this at 12:30 am next morning - lying fearfully aware all night that I was trapped in my own bed. Went to the XXXXXXX What the hell is this? I was then able to put in my dentist supplied madibular adjustable devise so I could breath with less sleep apnea problems.

Still, getting down to the mattress was hell to the back of my skull & throat. I awoke later and got up at 4:00 AM going thru the same legs over the edge procedure passing thru immence back of the skull and back of the throat pain. Never in my 85 years have I experienced this type of pain. These are instant passes through the pain portals. God love the folks who live thru long periods of no. 10 pain. God love them all.

I'm desperately attempting to attend a soft tissue Chiro doc, a Chiro doc, and an acupuncturist. I hope these alternate ice bags and heat wraps help out today. I FEAR tonight for the In & out trips thru this pain.
XXXXXXX Cusack, YYYY@YYYY . Bloomington. IN. 812-339-1066 07-21-2017

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to spondylosis and muscle spasm. please get an X-Ray done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully.

Your back pain could be due to spondylosis or could be due to muscle spasm, thus causing the pain. Hot compress should provide relief. The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take painkillers like Paracetamol or Acetaminophen 650 mg twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. This should ease the problem and make it go away.

If it does not, I would insist you get an X-Ray of the Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) as well as X Ray of Cervical Spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports.

Based on the findings s/he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief. Yes, you can also see the chiropractor or acupuncturist.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha