• question-icon

What causes pustular rashes on the face?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have an odd problem concerning my daughter in South XXXXXXX She lives in rural South XXXXXXX close to the Mozibique border. She emailed me in as her face is covered with pustules that itch terribly. (she sent me a picture). She said that they came out slowly but she gets more everyday. Her face has been like this for three months. They are only on her face. She does not have a fever. She has used different kinds of soaps and lotions on her face to no avail. She has not added anything to new to her diet except mushrooms. She hasn't been swimming anywhere. I told her I would ask a doctor. Went to local pharmacist who had no idea. Help, please. As far as I know there is no poison oak there. Why only face?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please attach the picture that your daughter had send

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Postulate lesions on face can be due to several reasons like pustular acne, impetigo, folliculitis, rosacea etc.
It would be very helpful if you can attach a picture of the lesions, so that I can give more definite answer.
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
I did attach a picture of her face, in my first email. I knew that would be important.Now I just uploaded another again as a report?
Thank you for you help in this matter. She is scared. I doubt it is rosacea as she is black iizulu woman. I do hope you get the picture.
Thank you ,
Trudie XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thank you for following up.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to see the picture yet.

As I mentioned in above answer the common cause for postulate lesions is suggestive of an infection, whatever the cause may be like acne, impetigo, folliculitis,rosacea(which can affect any skin color) etc.
Antibiotics is required for management.
Oral clindamycin( Evoclin, ClindaMax) is a very effective treatment for skin infection.Dosage -300 mg thrice daily.
She can also apply topical clindamycin ointment.
Use sunscreen and avoid too much sun exposure.
wash face with gentle soap and water.
Avoid cosmetics until the pustules clear up.
Anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen can be used to reduce pain and inflammation.
Please be advised to follow up with a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I was able to help you
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal