What causes pushing feeling under rib cage when suffering from hernia?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I have a hernia on my left side near my hip bone and pelvic bone incisional and it aches in my groin and side of my waist now I feel like it is pushing under my rib cage is it possible that it is the hernia doing that
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, this is possible for hernia to give such symptoms. Especially if it can not get back to abdomen freely. Please try to push it back. If this will be unsuccessful, hernia could get stuck. If you have also bloating, nausea, vomiting, you should consult a general surgeon as soon as possible.
If this symptoms are present for some time now (like few weeks), you should wait for your surgery.
If the feeling under the rib cage is on the right side and radiates to the back, gallstones can be also the reason. In such case, abdominal ultrasound should be done.

The main problem with hernia is that depending of which part of abdominal organs are inside (intestine or fatty tissue), it can produce different symptoms. Moreover you never know if and when it will stuck so the emergency surgery will be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.