Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

What causes pus filled lump behind the ear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14995 Questions
I have a lump behind my right ear that sometimes fills up with pus. What is it?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: sebaceous cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic There are 2 main possibilities. (1)It is possibly a sebaceous cysts. These are non cancerous lesions that can be found in different parts of the body including face and neck.They are not life threatening but can be uncomfortable if they go too large. They are formed from sebaceous glands in the skin. They occur if the gland or its outlying duct become blocked , this allow secretions to accumulate. They are diagnosed mainly by history and examination by a doctor. Treatment depends on the symptoms. If it is not causing any problems then the treatment is mainly watch and wait, if it is causing discomfort then the cyst is removed. The pus occurs if the cyst becomes acutely infected. In some cases antibiotics may be needed to resolve this acute infection. This is a simple outpatient procedure that is not usually associated with any complications (2) An abscess is an collection of pus that occurs acutely. Whereas the sebaceous cysts is present continually and abscess is an acute infection. Since the lesion has been present for years, the sebaceous cyst is more likely. You can consider visiting your doctor for an assessment. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pus filled lump behind the ear? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. Gibson for your reply. It really doesn't bother me until others make a comment. My next ?? are can it or will it ever go away and why does it just drain on it's owe every now and then. Can I do anything to bring it to a head and drain?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: does not resolve spontaneously Detailed Answer: Hi Magnesium sulphate creams would help it rupture when it recollects but once the cyst (sac) remains , it will eventually recollect. The only definitive treatment would be removal of the sac itself by a doctor. The magnesium sulphate should be available at your local pharmacy. Please feel free to contact with any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor