What causes pus drainage from the ears?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Usually pus comes out of my ears. I referred to this doctor and he said that I had hole in my ears drum. He dismissed the idea of operation because even after a new ear drum, it may again get ruptured whenever I will catch cold. He said that it happens due to cough and cold. And you have to take precautions for this. He gave me these medicines saying that whenever you get cough and cold, you may take these. These helped me as due to.absence of cough and cold me ear stayed dry. Now again the pus is coming out and I have cough in my throat. Therefore, I thought it would be better if I start these medicines. But I am not getting these. Can you suggest some medicines which will help me minimize these cold and cough or Do you have some other suggestions? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
a second opinion can certainly be taken..

Detailed Answer:
Hello again xxxxxxx,

Thanks for following up, well after reading your query, i feel that there's no harm in seeking another (second) opinion in this regard.. you're too young, and micro-endoscopic ENT surgery has been revolutionized like anything..

So first of all, make an appointment with another ENT specialist surgeon (pref. at a multi-speciality hospital like Apollo/Fortis/Care hospital etc.) and get yourself checked up thoroughly, and some necessary investigations like CT-scan of Para-nasal sinuses with extended view, along with pus swab staining, culture & sensitivity etc. to determine the underlying exact cause behind this (from your description it seems like suppurative otitis media).

Once the exact etiology(causative factor) is isolated, treatment will be much easier.

You haven't yet mentioned those necessary names of the medications, which i've requested earlier, however from these description it seems like some antibiotic and analgesic along with decongestants..

They are only for symptomatic treatment, and unsupervised antibiotic intake is not at all recommended, simply because, it can only increases risk of antimicrobial resistance in the body and further prolongation and upgradation to higher generation of antibiotics and so on (a vicious cycle)..

For symptomatic relief for now, you can take Tab SINAREST (contains Chlorpheniramine 2 mg, Phenylephrine 10 mg, Paracetamol 500 mg, anhydrous caffeine 30 mg) three times daily for next 5 days, it'll help relieving those symptoms.. however decision regarding another antibiotics can only be taken after a thorough examination of the area and those relevant set of investigations..

Do saline water(luke warm) gargling three times daily and avoid dairy/cold/sour foods for the time being..

Do let me know how you stay, how it goes with the ENT specialist in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

For future reference, you can always get in touch with me, below is my Direct follow-up link through which you can contact me directly anytime anywhere, I'll be happy to help -

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=71041

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 18 minutes later
hi.. I was able to find these two medicines. Cetlee - Mt. (levocetrizine and montelukast tablets) and zomox CL (amoxycilin and potassium clavulanate tablets)... these two were recommend for thrice daily...for ten days
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up consultation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello again xxxxxx ,

Well, the Levocetrizine and montelukast tablets- anti-allergic, for symptomatic improvement, can only be restarted after a thorough clinical examination while Amoxycilin and Potassium clavulanate was the antibiotic, not to be taken without proper medical supervision..

Just follow the thorough instructions and plan of action given earlier, and also take the Sinarest for the time being as explained, let me know how you stay in the due course..

Meanwhile, do plan and schedule the ENT appointment as explained in details, for a definitive management in this regard..

Get well soon..

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 7 minutes later
Thanks for the update. I will schedule an appointment and let you know about it. One more thing....can I have hot milk or.for time.being should I avoid it. Also, if you can suggest some good doctor in these hospitals or if you are available in one of these. That will be great. I live in XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up consultation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello again xxxxxxz ,

Yes, you can have hot milk but preferably in the morning.. avoid all forms of cold dairy products, sour foods and drinks, raita/buttermilk, cold drinks etc.... You can take hot drinks like bournvita, green tea, soups, broths, they'll provide soothing effect , avoid direct exposure to the a/c ducts as well.. stay well hydrated through out the day..

No, i'm practicing in New XXXXXXX . You can check in to any of these multispeciality hospitals, they all have good team of specialists, surgeons and investigations facilities all under one roof.. Now a days, all the appointments are also done online, so simply schedule the appointment as per your convenience (don't delay too long though), and proceed..

You can check with Dr Jaswinder XXXXXXX Saluja at Apollo, XXXXXXX / DR. NACHIKET DASRAO DESHMUKH at KIMS, XXXXXXX / Dr. Rao's ENT Super Speciality Hospital at KPHB, all are excellent..

Get well soon..