• question-icon

What causes pus cells in urine?

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: In my bienial medical examination on 16 july '14, urine test was done. The urine examination shows urine pus cells 15-20/hpf. The comments state, urine infection - advised urine culture.
Please advise what could be the possible reasons for the pus cells, and if any further counsultation with a doctor / specialist may be required. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pus cells - bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:

The pus cells in the urine are due to bacterial infection of the cells of the urethra to kidneys killing the lining of the tract. Its like a bacterial infection of any part of the skin where there is pus produced. Here the pus cells will flow in the urine and is not observed through naked eye.

It would be better to get an Urine culture done to know the causative organism and the antibiotics it is sensitive to. You can see an Urologist with the report and he/she will guide you with the treatment.

Consume plenty of water and maintain hygiene of the area as this will reduce and prevent any further infections.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Ashwin Bhandari