What causes purplish discoloration in legs and toes while sitting for few minutes?
Not acrocyanosis. Obesity and varicose veins contribute.
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate: Male/32 - formerly *very obese man - toes go red or purplish sit down or stand still for couple of minutes - back to normal on walking or elevating the legs - scared of possible secondary acrocyanosis - has couple of attacks of purplish discoloration in colder temp - Vascular Specialist ruled out acrocyanosis - thinks of CEAP C1, C2, C4a - advised to wear compression stockings - consulted Doctors/Vascular Specialists - 3 say of venous insufficiency - seen pictures of today - just want to make sure ...
Please give some additional information:
- Since when have you started getting this problem?
- Your height and weight to know the BMI.
- Please post the reports of any investigations that might have been done till now.
My thoughts after reading your history and correlating some points with the
pictures you have provided:
This is surely not acrocyanosis as the cyanosis is permanent in acrocyanosis which is not there in your case.
Obesity is one of the reasons of such vascular responses.
One of the important reasons in obesity and having such responses is varicose veins with competent valves, hence walking helps to get the normal skin as the calf muscles also called as venous pump becomes active and help in emptying the venous stasis and improves the normal blood circulation.
I hope some of these investigations must have already been done:
Vascular color doppler of the lower limbs.
Tests of the blood including routine CBC, liver, kidney, thyroid and other functions to make sure that they are within normal limits.
Reducing obesity can help you a lot.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please get the venous color doppler
Thanks for your feedback.
Even a BMI of 33 can be a contributory factor. Try to reduce it further.
Please get the Vascular color doppler particularly for the venous system of both the lower limb as it may add to the treatment.
Continue to wear compression stockings.
Keep the lower limbs in elevated position whenever possible like resting at home .
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes toe nail fungus
- What are the causes for cramps in fingers and toes
- Will fleas cause itching in legs and toes
- What causes red toes
- What causes blisters on toes
- Whats the cause of toes nailssplit
- What causes toe jam
- What causes soreness in toes
- What is the cause of dark spot on toe
- What causes pain in toe while walking
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe
- Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones
- What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis
- What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?
- What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?
- What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?
- What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?
- What does this EKG report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis