What causes purple spots on ear of a toddler?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, my toddler (16 months) has 3 purple spots on his ear..2 small and one big..he has a cough and eye infections in both eyes (we have antibiotics for the eyes) should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Send me pictures of this purple spots.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

If your child has cough and eye infection then you can use antibiotic eye drops but it must be used under doctor's guidance.

Also,send me the picture of this purple spots on his ear so,that i can see the lesion to understand it better.

without examination it will be difficult for me to comment.

Kindly get back to me with images.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 36 minutes later
Hi yes here is the picture. It came up wednesday afternoon i found it when i picked my XXXXXXX up from nursery it fades when touched and if you notice there are two tiny ones as well. He hasnt had a injury when he has been with me. Im a first time mum and panic as well. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be due to allergic or some insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the quick follow-up.

I have seen the picture carefully and taken enough time.

The purple spots are in the middle of the ear and not clearly demarcated.
They could be due to allergic or some insect bite but one thing is sure that there is nothing to be worried about this as they may get subsided by themselves and without any definitive treatment.

However,you can give your child anti-allergic syrup (like syrup cetrizine) which will also helpful for the relief of cough.

If this spots persists even after 3 to 4 days then you should see some local paediatrician for examination and appropriate antibiotic and other symptomatic treatment.

Continue with antibiotic eye drops.

Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 23 minutes later
He was in the nursery garden a lot Wednesday and it was 30 degrees and that's hot for the uk. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about! I can now sleep in peace! Thank u!
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the quick response.

You are most welcome.

You can give treatment as I explained and yes nothing to worry about it.