What causes purple discoloration in body while coughing with history of stroke?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My brother had a stroke in 1999 and now when he laughs he cannot stop so he chokes and turns purple. How can we prevent this without taking away anything that is funny in his life?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible pseudobulbar affect.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I believe what your brother has developed is a form of what is called pseudobulbar affect. It is a common complication in post stroke patients. It is manifested by uncontrolled outbursts of laughing or crying which are exaggerated or even at times not representative of the real emotional state.

Regarding treatment the most used medication in later years is Nuedexta, a combination of dextromethorphan and quinidine, it produces a reduction of about 50% of the uncontrolled episodes. In the past also antidepressants like citalopram have been used with success.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.