What causes purple colored spot on right upper eyelid?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I have a spot of purple discoloration on my right upper eye lid with no swelling, pain or trauma. What could be the cause and should I see a physician?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a spot of ecchymosis of the skin of lid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It reviewed your history and the photo attached with the question.
This shows a a spot of ecchymosis of the skin of the eyelid. This is because of collection of blood under the layers of skin of the eyelid.
Most of these occur following injury, but spontaneous occurrence of these ecchymosis spots do occur in clinical practice.

No treatment is generally required for this condition. It will resolve itself over 1-3 weeks. Applying cold compression provides symptomatic relief.

No evaluation is generally required for one single episode. If you have recurrent episodes, then it requires evaluation to rule out systemic conditions like hypertension, diabetes, bleeding and clotting abnormalities...

Hence I advice you no need to worry and this will resolve over 1-2 weeks.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards