What causes purple bruise on penis?

Dermatologist
Question
I bruised my penis snow mobiling six months ago, a 2" diameter piece of skin Chaffed off leaving a slight scab, I went to the doctor who told me it wasn't a std. I still have a slight purple bruise on my penis shaft where the original bruise and scab were. It is painless but I was wondering if it will ever go away.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Detailed Answer:
It seems the site of injury has healed with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. PIH occurs simply due to over production of melanin.
Another possibility could be a bruise. A bruise usually resolves in weeks. However a deep bruise may persist for months.

As such no treatment is required for same and over due course of time it should improve.
However if at all it worries you aesthetically, you may apply a mild steroid cream like desonide cream and kojic acid cream, both once in a day.
Hope this helped.

Follow-up: What causes purple bruise on penis? 5 hours later
I would like to follow up as well, I had some chaffing on my penis from wearing swimming trunks all week, I was advised by a doctor to put a hydrocortisone cream on the area. The chaffing area was right above the larger bruised area right under the under size of my penis head (circumcised) the hydrocortisone clearly came in contact with the purple area, however the area in the last few days has turned a darker more aparaint color and looks like a new bruise. It appears the skin on the bruises is drying out. There isn't any discharge or pain. I also haven't had any blunt trauma to the area. Only the chaffing, I've been sexually active with my wife. Is this a case of me having very sensitive skin in this area? Would the correlation of chaffing along with friction of intercourse cause the bruising to come back? Any recommendations as to what could prevent this? Again at my last doctor visit they said it didn't appear to be an std in any way. I just would like to know if this is a coincidence of chaffing in the same spot.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is definitely not a STD

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for delayed response.
From the description, it definitely doesn't sound like sexually transmitted infection.
I would be able to answer your other queries once you send me a pic of affected area.
Friction, trauma during intercourse( if its vigorous) may lead to chaffing but firstly I would like to see a pic of affected area.
Also let me know
if the affected area has any itching, redness,fissuring
If your wife/partner has any vaginal itching discharge
If you are on some medicine like pain killer/oral antibiotics etc
If you are using soap/savlon/Dettol over affected area.

I want to rule out any irritant/allergic reaction, candida infection and fixed drug eruption in your case

Hoping to hear from you soon.