What causes pungent smelling semen?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: why does my boyfriends semen smell so pungent? The odor stays on me for days!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
weed changes sperm smell

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
First, it can be caused by weed consumation or some other medications and drugs.
Some people have specific smell of semen which is normal or can be caused by prostate infection or enlargement.Third,it can be sign of STD so I suggest for him to do urine analysis,prostate examination and STD.Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
What can I do to get the smell out of me? I take a Probiotic with Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG regularly, and I bath with Dial soap at least twice a day; the smell is still there.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it may take up to 10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Just continue with this type of hygiene and it will disappear in few days,you can use condoms in future but he should have tests that I ve recommended.