What causes pulsing sensation in lower left quadrant and blood in stool?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have experienced blood in stool post a synthetic version of T4 which my doctor encouraged me to try - have had exacerbation of IBS symptoms since then - also history of polyps - gastro feels this can wait till January to see if it improves as not yet due for new colonoscopy. I am concerned that I have had a very unusual pulsing feeling in my lower left quadrant - in sigmoid colon. Should I be repeating scans etc.

I have visited a doctor - a specialist - no medications are tolerated so this is very difficult to manage - I am using a gluten free diet plus avoidance of additives. Have experienced pain, weakness in the area concerned. Need to decide if advice to wait until January is good.

I must add that this was a compounded synthetic version of T4 - the doctors have been quite determined to get me to take this despite my reservations as many synthetic medications appear to cause me intolerance

I have heard of Tirosint which is not available in Australia but approved by the FDA in the US which appears to be very well tolerated as it is hypoallergenic
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urinalysis, CT scan followed by colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Blood in stool is not a feature of IBS. Since you have had history of polyps, bleeding can be attributed to it.
Some of the common causes of bleeding per rectum are hemorrhoids, fissures, polyps, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulosis and malignancy.

You have not mentioned when the last colonoscopy was done and what was the complete report.
I would also like to know the histopathology report of the polyps found.

Pain in the left lower quadrant could be due to diverticulitis, colitis and may be even due to pelvic inflammatory disease and cystitis.

Urinalysis, CT scan of the abdomen and based on the CT scan report a colonoscopy may be done ( colonoscopy should be not be done in case of diverticulitis and CT scan helps to know if you have diverticulitis).

Since you mentioned blood in stools, it needs early evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.