• question-icon

What causes pulsating in right ear, cold and swollen nose?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a pulsating in my right ear off and on. Sometimes it lasts for a couple of hours and sometimes it is just for a few minutes. I had a cold and after cold is when this developed. I have been to the doctors twice, the first time he said he did not see anything with my ears but my nose was inflamed and swollen and that could be effecting my ear. He put me on Flonase, I used that for a week and no change. The second time I went back this doctor said it was a middle ear infection and put me on Levaquin for 7 days. Still the same with the pulsating coming and going. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may go for the impedance audiometry

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern; it suggest that you are suffering from tinnitus due to the secretory otitis media.

I would like to suggest some medicine with your above mentioned medicine
1. Mucolytic medicine such as acetyl cysteine 200mg five times a day.
2. Anti allergic medicine such as fexofenadine 120mg once a day.
3. Systemic steroid such as deflazacort 30mg once a day if not contraindicated.
4. Steam inhalation.
5. Xylometazoline nasal drop 2 drops three times a day
after consulting with your doctor.

I would also suggest that you have to go for the impedance audiometry to rule out the other cause and to reach the near diagnosis.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 42 minutes later
Are these over the counter medicines...,will this type of tinnitis go away on its own?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All these medicines are not the over the counter medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your follow up question; and for your kind information all these medicines are not the over the counter medicine. I would like to suggest that better to consult with your ENT specialist for further management.

This type of tinnitus may go away on its own in some patient but for better management it is absolutely necessary that you should go for above mentioned test i.e. impedance audiometry.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist