What causes pulmonary fibrosis?
Causes of lung scarring
Hello and welcome,
Lung scarring (pulmonary fibrosis) can happen from a number of different diseases and injuries. I am thinking that you are wanting to know what diseases cause the scarring? Or do you mean what is the physical mechanism that results in this?
I'll answer the first possible question - what diseases and conditions cause it. If that is not what you meant, please let me know.
1. Some autoimmune and connective tissue disorders such as Lupus, scleroderma, and sarcoidosis, and granulomatosis.
2. Lung infections (TB, sometimes pneumonia)
3. The following medications can have lung scarring as a complication: amiodarone, bleomycin, busulfan, methotrexate,apomorphine, and nitrofurantoin.
4. Inhaled substances including silica, asbestos, some metals and gases and chemical sprays.
5. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, such as from inhaling sileage contaminated with molds or bacteria.
6. Chest radiation such as from radiation therapy to treat cancer.
Cigarette smoking can increase the risk or make the illness worse.
7. Cigarette smoking can increase the risk of scarring, and make the scarring process of any of the above situations worse.
I hope this information helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs causing pulmonary fibrosis
- Could pradaxa cause pulmonary fibrosis
- What is pulmonary fibrosis
- Dla for pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis causes
- What are the symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis?
- Can pulmonary fibrosis cause a dry cough?
- Interstitial pulmonary fibrosis causes
- Infective pulmonary fibrosis causes
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis causes
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis