• question-icon

What causes pulmonary embolism?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: what are the symptoms of a pulmonary embolism?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms of pulmonary embolism detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Pulmonary embolism occurs due to a blood clot that breaks off(most commonly from a deep vein in leg) and migrates to the blood vessels supplying to the lungs, thereby cutting off blood supply to lungs.

The symptoms of pulmonary embolism can vary from being very subtle and unnoticeable to very overt symptoms.
Symptoms of pulmonary embolism include
-Breathing difficulty
-Dizziness, loss of consciousness
-Palpitations
-Chest pain which may or may not worsen on breathing/coughing
-Blood tinged sputum

Pulmonary embolism may also be associated with the symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
DVT is usually the point of origin of the clot that embolize to pulmonary vessels.
Symptoms of DVT include
-Pain, swelling, redness of leg
-Pain/difficulty walking

Sitting/immobilization for long hours like in an air plane, smoking etc are risk factors for development of DVT and pulmonary embolism.

If you have any symptoms of Pulmonary embolism or you feel the possibility of having/development of pulmonary embolism, please be advised to follow up with the nearest emergency room. Initiation of treatment with heparin as soon as possible is important for good prognosis.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal