What causes pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, two days ago my right foot was swollen when I woke up. Then it made my whole leg sore for about an hour. shortly after that I had severe shortness of breath that last until now and continuing. I've been in bed for 36 hours. Ever now and then having a deep cough that produces a big blood clot looking thing. My wife wants to take me to the hospital. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible pulmonary embolism,need to go to hospital

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I think that you definitely need to go to hospital. You must rule out leg thrombosis and possible pulmonary embolism. This may be serious thing and your symptoms are not something usual or normal. There is no need to be very concerned,bu examination, lung xrays and leg ultrasound is definitely required.
WIsh you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D