question-icon

What causes ptosis after taking Botox injection?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: I woke up with my right eye appearing droopy. I have a hx of migraine and recently had Botox. Wondering if could be related and if will go away
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
May be related, should go away.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The fact that you've had a botox injection session may well be the reason for the ptosis (droopy eyelid). It is one of the possible complications of the therapy with botox when the botox effect reaches the muscle which elevates the palpebrae. It may be related to the injection being too close to the muscle, too diluted spreading to the muscle, simply due to anatomic variations in different patients or due to a preexisting weakness of that muscle which was till now compensated from the forehead muscles only to be disclosed by the injection.

A visit is still recommended to look for other possible signs which might indicate other causes, but in the meantime shouldn't overworry as botox is the most likely culprit and it will reverse as its effect wears off.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist