• question-icon

What causes pruney fingers in an elderly person?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have prune fingers even though my fingers are not wet. I am 68 and have had this condition for a while. Any idea what causes this?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of possibilities need to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that the described condition (pruney fingers even though they are not wet) is likely to reflect some underlying cause. The following possibilities need to be considered:
* Dehydration: Wrinkled Fingertips can point to dehydration which can also be confirmed by presence of dryness in the hands and feet. There may also be peeling of the lips. As well there may be other distinct signs and symptoms of loss of water from the body suggesting dehydration.
* Lymphedema: This is a medical condition in which there is building up or clogging of fluid in some areas of the fingers.
* Thyroid Disorder: This is also a common cause of Wrinkled Fingertips or Pruney Fingers.
* Parasympathetic Nerve Dysfunction: This medical condition is also known to cause Wrinkled Fingertips or Pruney Fingers.
* Diabetes: Nerve insufficiency or diabetes is also a cause for Wrinkled Fingertips. This is one of the common signs of uncontrolled blood sugars in an individual.
* Connective Tissue Disorders: Conditions like lupus and scleroderma also tend to cause Wrinkled Fingertips or Pruney Fingers.
* Vitamin Deficiency: Vitamin D and B12 deficiency has also been shown to cause Wrinkled Fingertips. There is enough evidence in the literature which shows the connection between Wrinkled Fingertips and inadequate vitamin D and B12.
* Liver problems: The presence of wrinkled skin is in direct correlation with the improper functioning of your liver.

You need to visit a doctor and get the underlying issue addressed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I was recently diagnosed as having Parkinson's. Could that be the cause.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I do not see any direct reason that Parkinson's could be a probable cause.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha