What causes protruding veins near the temples?

Question
I am 55 years old. Recently, the veins around my temples have begun to protrude. It's not a flattering look. What could be causing this and what can I do about it?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

One cause of enlarged vessels in the temple can be due to an autoimmune disorder called Temporal Arteritis. This is a serious problem and the symptoms are tender temple blood vessels, tender scalp, headache, visual changes, and pain in your jaw. It needs to be evaluated with blood tests for antibodies and biopsy of the temporal artery and treated with corticosteroids.

If however, you are not having tenderness, headache, etc, then it may be a cosmetic problem rather than a medical problem. The veins can be more visible in people who are thin. And if you have high blood pressure, then controlling that may help. If not, and the vessels have just enlarged over time, treatment choices include sclerotherapy, topical laser treatment, and micro-incisions.

If you are having any tenderness, then do go to a doctor ASAP, and immediately if any visual changes to make sure it isn't an arterial problem which I described above. Otherwise you can see a vascular surgeon for options.