What causes protruding naval in an infant?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
navel of 3 months old baby is bit outside and baby feeling uncomfortable due to that. is that a common thing or we need to consult a Doctor?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Granuloma / hernia are common

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thanks for consulting on health care magic. It could be an umbilical Granuloma or a mild umbilical hernia. Both of which are not something dangerous.

If you could upload a photograph of navel of the baby, I would suggest you in clearer terms.

Granuloma needs to worried about only if there is purulent or pus like foul smelling discharge & hernia needs emergency management only if its not going in. Both of which are not mentioned in your query....so I take it ...its not.

Kindly get back with images & I will suggest you the needful.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes protruding naval in an infant? 2 hours later
I hv twin babies nd m sending u images of them bt in these navel is. normal bt when. they crying or push their bodies navel is highly out of their. body.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild umbilical hernia - Don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi...this is mild umbilical hernia. You need not worry as it will settle by itself in months to come. The only red flag or danger sign you will require medical help in these cases is - the mass which is protruding is not going in automatically or turning blue or excessive uncontrollable cry. If these are not there.... You need not worry. Rest assured.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes protruding naval in an infant? 16 minutes later
thanx

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly rate the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, if you are happy with my suggestions.... Kindly rate my answers.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth