What causes protein in urine?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 61 and normal. Recent blood tests reveal a relatively level of protein in my urine. For approx ament,y the past 6-8 months I have ingested THC oil in cookies/brownies. Could this be a byproduct of this activity?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it is not related to THC oil in cookies/brownies.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Trace amount of protein is normally found in urine.
Excessive amount of protein in urine may be due to many reasons like infection,chronic hypertension,chronic diabetes mellitus,glomerulonephritis etc.Most likely it is not related to THC oil in cookies/brownies.

You need proper clinical correlation and further investigations.
You are rightly advised for 24 hour protein excretion.Besides this,initially you may need other tests like routine hemogram,random blood sugar,liver function test,complete renal function test(includes serum urea,creatitine).If there is alteration then you may also need creatitine clearance,GFR,serum sodium,potassium,calcium,phosphorus,bicarbonate,chloride).
I also advise for ultrasound of abdomen.

Proper treatment depend upon findings.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX