What causes prostatomegaly?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I am 63 went for a routine medical check up; US shows prostatomegaly. The doctor said no treatment is needed...
Should I do some thing? Can it become worse?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to take medicines to arrest progression

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

There is a condition called benign hypertrophy of prostate. It is frequency in in males of your age. In initial stages when there is no significant hesitancy of urine, medical treatment with drugs like tamsulosin or finasteride suffices. The medicine needs to continue. Subsequently surgical intervention with TURP (trans urethral resection of prostate) may be required in a few cases.

I think that you need not worry about this. But I would suggest you to discuss with you doctor and take those medicines. Otherwise the condition is likely to gradually progress till you cannot pass urine.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha