What causes prominent veins on arm?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Dr,

My dad is a little concerned with his arm. After he got home from work he noticed his veins started to stick out quite predominantly as shown in the picture attached. He also says he feels tingling in his arms as well as a lack of blood flow and a slight burning but only on the one arm. He is 50 years old and has previously suffered from carpal tunnel and arthritis, he is also a concreter but he said they weren't sticking out at work. What do you think it could be and would it be urgent enough to go to the hostipal?

Kind Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Impaired venous blood flow.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

I saw the picture you uploaded too.

Seems to be increased pressure of right arm veins.

Causes of this condition may be venous thrombosis, veins valves incompetency, or compression of veins during their pathway.

It is necessary to have done a Doppler ultrasound of the affected arm vessels (arteries and veins) in order to properly diagnose your father's condition.

In mean time, rest with the arm elevated slightly above body level improves the blood flow of the arm.

I don't see any emergency at the moment, but, if your father notices further enlargement of veins, redness, swelling, temperature of the arm, he should be evaluated ASAP.

You should discuss with your father's primary care Doctor about these issues too.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad