What causes prolonged vaginal spotting?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I started my period on Monday and ended with dark brown reddish color on Saturday. All day Sunday I had light pink spotting when I wiped. You have to go deep in there to get the light pink on the tissue. This morning I woke up and i still have the very little light pink spotting. I'm very nervous worrying about cervical or uterine cancer. Is it normal to have very little light pink spotting for s few days after my period ended?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out infection of cervix or uterus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
Hope your periods are regular and not on any hormones?
If so and no pain in lower abdomen you can wait and watch .If it is still continuing it is better to get a speculam examination to rule out any infection of cervix or uterus.
Hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 53 minutes later
Periods are regular. I haven't had sex in a very long time so I wouldn't have infection. I also had a Pap and ultrasound d in august that was normal. Is it normal to have light pink spotting for a few days following the end of a period?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it need not be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The scan and pap was done in August.2016
So it may be better to get a pelvic exam and follow up.
Infection can be there with out sexual activity.
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 7 minutes later
Is it normal to have light pink spotting following the end of your period? It's very small and light. I have to wipe deep to get it on the paper. Would it be cervical, uterine or ovarian cancer. I'm very worried
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Since it is followed by periods it can be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since it is followed by periods it can be normal.It need not be cancer.However you can get a speculum examination. It will convince you and can be relaxed .
Hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad