What causes prolonged vaginal spotting after taking Deviry?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Last month, my periods were due on 17th January but they got delayed by 15 days. On 16th - 18th day after the missed due date, I experienced spotting and hence visited a Gyneac for the same. She said it was hormonal imbalance (PCOS) and prescribed me Deviry 10mg for 5 days and Normoz for 3 months. Also, recommended exercise and diet.

Even before I started with the medication, my periods set in on the 19th day. I still went ahead and took the prescribed medicines. I had normal flowy periods for 3 days. I have been exercising regularly and I am on calculated balanced diet. It is the 8th day now after I got my periods, but i am still spotting everyday.

What can be the reason for it? Should I continue with the medicines?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely the effect of Deviry

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
You are spotting due to the deviry tablet you have taken.
It is a progesterone hormone, which induces withdrawal bleeding within 5-7 days of stopping the tablet.
The bleeding or spotting may continue for 5-10 days.
Normoz generally do not leads to spotting.
You should wait for 3-4 days for the spotting to stop.
If it do not stops, then you should get treatment in form of hormonal tablet ( regestrone) from your doctor.
You can continue Normoz.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy