• question-icon

What causes prolonged vaginal bleeding?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Dr. Married man here. History: My wife is 46. In the last 3 yrs or so, My Wife's cycle schedule chnged from four weeks, to 3 weeks. Over night. She usually is up twice each night to urinate, (But) our aged dog, which sleeps in our room has been restless since Dec after major surgery. She says he awakens her. HERE IS THE CONCERN. Her last menstruel cycle ended 9 days ago, but she has continued getting small amounts of spotting. Not enough for dripping, but enough that she's been having to do inner vaginal rinses daily and then, she is getting either globbing of brown or red blood. This symptom has never happened prior to this event, but its been going on the last 8 days. Is this a menopause symptom? She keeps hoping it's just a one time oddity. But in 22 years of marriage, she's never had such an event. I'm concerned. She is too, but is afraid, to call her Dr. {Crazy reaction} But she's always one to ride things out.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

I have gone through your query and would like to offer some suggestions. In all probability, hers is a perimenopausal symptom.

Local causes like an erosion on the cervix, polyps of the cervix and endometrium and infections have to be ruled out. I would ask her to get a proper clinical evaluation.

She needs a hormone study, a trans-vaginal sonogram, blood counts and urinalysis. Please do not worry, this is part of the routine procedure.

To arrest the spotting, styptics can be used. If, after the investigation, there is no local cause, hormones can be given to control the breakthrough bleeding.

Please ask her to take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and maintain a healthy weight.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX V. I copied your advice, pasted it in an e-mail and sent to my wife at her office.
Rev XXXXX
www.hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.yyy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the feedback.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you very much for the feedback. You are always welcome to contact for further information.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN