What causes prolonged vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My mother - 95-years-old, osteoporosis, tendency toward anemia, some dementia - has been having periods of vaginal bleeding. The bleeding is not heavy, but lasts several days. She has never had a hysterectomy, so still has all of her female organs. We are reluctant to do anything invasive because of her age and health status.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post-menopausal bleeding must be evaluated for cancerous changes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question. I am sorry about your mother but perhaps I can help. Regardless of her age, I think that she deserves to know what is going on. Consider that if this is something simple, such as a polyp in the uterus, perhaps there is a way to treat it so that she is less anemic and feels better.

In women with bleeding who are menopausal, a small but significant number of them have precancerous or cancerous changes of the uterus or cervix. I believe that there is no harm in trying to figure out what is going on. This does not mean that anything has to be done, but it might worth taking the next step to understanding the bleeding. Also, consider that she might have a blood disorder that is predisposing her to bleeding.

Regardless, she really should see an OB/GYN - express your concerns about her age and ask them if they would recommend at the very least an exam and ultrasound.

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 49 minutes later
Absolutely. I appreciate the reminder that they can do less-invasive tests that will still give us more information. And, as you mention, she does deserve to know what's going on. We can all then make a more-informed decision about future treatment. Thank you so much for your prompt response.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you have any more questions you can direct them to me by stating 'This is for Dr. Raichle' and I will be happy to help you.

Dr. R
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana