What causes prolonged vaginal bleeding after taking a Depo shot?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i took a depo shot on 2nd august and starting spotting from 9th august leading to very heavy bleeding which is still ongoing ...i got norethisterone on the 24th august and took 5mg 3 times a day but still no change so i increased the dose to 30mg a day
i am on day 5 and the bleeding has become very bright pink with few small clots, when will the bleeding stop?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The bleeding may need 2 weeks for up to 3 months to stop

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

Depo shot can give bleeding for up to 3 months when you use it for the first time. It needs some time for the body to adjust with the hormonal changes.

If you have used this shot before, it may need less time to stop.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 38 minutes later
i have been taking norethisterone to help stop the bleeding but it is still ongoing.
Does this mean that i need to carry on taking them till the bleeding stops?

i cannot carry on living with this bleeding which has lasted 3 weeks... i cannot go anywhere without worrying about flooding.

is there not anything i can take to stop the bleeding? Non stop bleeding for 3 months is surely not healthy and is bound to cause some ruin to my relationship too
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are recommendations for oral or transdermal estrogen supplements

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I have read the evidence about using norethisterone to stop the side effect of bleeding while using the depo shot, and I have not found anything that supports it.

On the other side, there are some recommendations administering oral or transdermal Estrogen supplements which sometimes have proven to be helpful but other times the efficacy of supplemental estrogen for prevention or treatment of active unscheduled bleeding is unclear.

If norethisterone is not working, means that maybe it is not going to work for you, so I would recommend to talk to your doctor about it and suggest the possibility of using estrogen.

Ultimately, if this method of contraception is affecting your relationship and the quality of life and nothing works to make it better, then it's better to consider other modes of contraception.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee