What causes prolonged spotting?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,

This month I stated spotting - 5-10 drops almost everyday since 15 days aftet my last period ended. Usually I have very regular periods every 28-29 days, with pain in the 1st day, heavy flow 2nd and 3rd day and periods ending by 4th day. This month due to continuous spotting, I did not realize when I started my cycle.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Coagulation defects and hormonal imbalances likely

Detailed Answer:

In the current scenario, You should see a specialist for further management. The possibility of hormonal imbalance and abnormal coagulation profile should be considered. Tests should be done to exclude this possibility. Local causes like erosions and polyps are also a possibility.

If abnormal blood profile, local causes and infections are excluded, hormonal imbalance is likely and hence can be treated accordingly. Management of weight, diet, any other associated hormonal imbalances also need to be corrected.

If you are not on any contraception and are sexually active, a trans-vaginal sonogram and an assessment of the serum beta-hCG titres also should be done to confirm/exclude pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 minutes later
I am not married and hence had never been sexually active. I went to the OBGYN and the following tests have been asked- pelvic ultrasound, blood and urine test
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go ahead with the investigations.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Please go ahead with the investigations recommended and also a complete hormonal profile to clarify the situation. Further management can be accordingly planned. It is more likely to be a simple hormonal imbalance.

Treatment through hormones is usually helpful. Such issues are usually temporary.

Hope your doubt has been clarified. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.