What causes prolonged spotting after intercourse while on Implanon?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello,

I recently got an Implanon inserted into my arm about 2 months ago, and I got my period with no spotting in between during the first month. After engaging in sexual relations, I began spotting, and its been on going for the entire month. The spotting is brown. Last night I had sex again, and I bled a little immediately after. Is this normal? I'm beginning to worry. I haven't had a spotting problem before, nor have I ever bled after sex.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Internal examination and Pap test are necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
Spotting inbetween period is a common side effect of Implanon.
But the spotting in your case is related to sexual relations. This is of concern. We should not presume it to be due to Implanon until we exclude other possible causes for such spotting.
Other possible causes for such spotting are cervical erosion (Where neck of cervix is covered by different epithelium-columnar epithelium), cervical polyp and precancerous lesions of cervix (neck of the womb). Even infection of the vagina and cervix can cause such spotting. But since you have not mentioned about dischage/ pain/itching it is unlikely to be due to infection in your case.
Have you been regular with your pap smears. When was the last Pap test done? Please fix up an appointment with your gynecologist for internal examination and Pap test ( if you have not done it before). This will help us find whether the spotting is due to Implanon or due to some other reason.

I hope this helps. If you have other concerns, i will be happy to answer.

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN