• question-icon

What causes prolonged periods?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in General Health
Question: I had issue with my periods last year may'13 and was bleeding for 2 weeks. Doctor asked me to take Trapic 500 mg 2 times for 2 days. And also start Ovral L on the same day for 6 months to regularise the periods. After this all was fine until XXXXXXX 2014. The last period was on 27th Jun and it stopped. 15th days back periods started and still continues. Pls advise if I can take Trapic 500 mg for 2 days 2 times and along with ovral l again for 6 months. I was advised to take ovral L on 5th day of the period but since it is 15 days, not sure when to start it. I am travelling and unable to visit a doc. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Senduran Narayanasamy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes.You can take.

Detailed Answer:
Hello .Welcome to healthcaremagic.
I am Dr.Senduran,General physician hope to solve your query.
As you had the history of irregular and heavy menses,you can safely take Trapic 500 mg twice for two days and also start ovral L as you were prescribed previously.Usually as long as you are on contraceptive pills,the menstrual cycle would be regular.You can start ovral L on the same day as trapic to effectively stop bleeding.Once bleeding stops,you can regularise your menstrual cycle by withdrawing the ovral L pill for specific duration whichever is regular for you.However you should inform this to your physician once you get the access.Hope I have answered your query.If any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.Take care.Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Senduran Narayanasamy