Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What causes prolonged periods?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 5136 Questions
My periods are prolonging to 15 days.could you please give me suggestion about this, and want to know the reason and prevention methods.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
Prolonged periods are usually due to polycystic ovary disease or deranged prolactin or thyroid levels.
I suggest you to get following tests to know the reason behind this derangement of periods-
-complete blood count
- prolactin levels
- thyroid profile
- pelvic organ ultrasound to see for ovaries and uterine endometrium.
These are simple tests but results havemail significant effect on reproductivery and metabolic health of body.
Get these tests and you can discuss further course of action with anytime on health care magic.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes prolonged periods? 21 minutes later

Thanks for your quick responce.
I have faced this in past. I have consulted doctor,from reports it is because of low hemoglobin level.
At that time i was very weak and feeling like so much tired, but now im not feeling like that, so is it might be the hemoglobin issue ?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations mandatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi fear, yes your doctor is right in saying it thats why I asked for a complete blood count.
But ever since you are 23 years now and will be married soon its better to work up for polycystic ovarian disease and deranged hormones so that they can be dealt with well in time.
So just get all the tests done and then we can discuss further course of action.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor