What causes prolonged periods?

Question
My periods are prolonging to 15 days.could you please give me suggestion about this, and want to know the reason and prevention methods.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
Prolonged periods are usually due to polycystic ovary disease or deranged prolactin or thyroid levels.
I suggest you to get following tests to know the reason behind this derangement of periods-
-complete blood count
- prolactin levels
- thyroid profile
- pelvic organ ultrasound to see for ovaries and uterine endometrium.
These are simple tests but results havemail significant effect on reproductivery and metabolic health of body.
Get these tests and you can discuss further course of action with anytime on health care magic.
All the best.

Follow-up: What causes prolonged periods? 21 minutes later

Thanks for your quick responce.
I have faced this in past. I have consulted doctor,from reports it is because of low hemoglobin level.
At that time i was very weak and feeling like so much tired, but now im not feeling like that, so is it might be the hemoglobin issue ?

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigations mandatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi fear, yes your doctor is right in saying it thats why I asked for a complete blood count.
But ever since you are 23 years now and will be married soon its better to work up for polycystic ovarian disease and deranged hormones so that they can be dealt with well in time.
So just get all the tests done and then we can discuss further course of action.