Owl Image

What causes prolonged period bleeding and weakness?

Owl Image
Dr. Vidya KR

Question
Hello, My name is XXXXX I will be 50 in Septermber. I have had my period for more then 2 months it's very heavy nothing like in the past. I also have headaches, I tire easily my legs get heavy if I walk a short distance. I'm 53 and weight 160 pounds. What can be the cause? Please help.
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DUB, needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

With history of Continous bleeding for more than 2 months Defenitely reduces your haemoglobin levels, because of that tiredness and heaviness in leg. First sholud take iron and frolic acid supplements to correct Hb level, Food rich in iron contents.

You are in peri menopausal stage, hormonal changes are very common at this stage. Most common cause for this type of presentation in my patients is DUB (dysfunctional uterine bleeding) . Which is very common in peri menopausal age.
But it's better to rule out other causes like endometrial cancer or over growth which do present with similar complaints and common at peri menopausal age.

So its better to consult gynaecologist to get evaluated . Early detection of disease better out come in treatment. So better not to waste time and get examined.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.