• question-icon

What causes prolonged menstruation while on contraceptive pills?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have had my period for 2 weeks now. I have just recently gone back onto the pill. I'm wondering if this is a side effect or something that I need to go back to the GP about. I had a pap smear and STI check 3 weeks ago which all came back clear. When wearing a panty liner there is barely any blood, however when going to the bathroom for a bowel movement when wiping afterwards this is when I am bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please evaluate further.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

In the current scenario, please clarify if you are bleeding from the vagina or the anus. If it is from the vagina, it is likely to be due to the hormone imbalance created by the pill and should settle down in a couple of weeks. Yet, you have to get a proper clinical evaluation and plan further management.

If the bleeding is associated with the bowel movement, you have to be explored for local causes.

Styptics help to control the bleeding. Please maintain a healthy diet and adequate rest.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
yes it is vaginal bleeding. what is styptics?
is it okay to have sexual activity while this is happening?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Styptics are used to arrest bleeding.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Styptics are medications like tranexamic acid and ethamsylate which are used to arrest bleeding.

Since it is vaginal bleeding, exclude local causes like erosion, infection and polyps through a clinical evaluation followed by a sonogram of the pelvis preferably in the trans-vaginal route to know the status of the pelvic organs. Hormone levels are also studied. Coagulation profile and blood counts are done. Further management is planned accordingly.

I would ask you to prefer abstinence until the bleeding is controlled. This is to rest the part and also to prevent infection and exacerbation of the symptoms.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
thanks for ur help one last question is it best to return to my treating gp or to go to a gyno for these follow ups?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A gynecologist would be ideal.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

I would ask you to see a gynecologist to get help. If your treating GP is able to attend such problems and if it is difficult for you to contact a specialist, please go ahead with your routine health care provider.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN