• question-icon

What causes prolonged menstruation while on contraceptive pills?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have had my period for 2 weeks now. I have just recently gone back onto the pill. I'm wondering if this is a side effect or something that I need to go back to the GP about. I had a pap smear and STI check 3 weeks ago which all came back clear. When wearing a panty liner there is barely any blood, however when going to the bathroom for a bowel movement when wiping afterwards this is when I am bleeding.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go back to GP

Detailed Answer:

What is your age?
The chance of side effect of pill is there but I would look into other possibilities of bleeding for more than two weeks. This is uncommon as a side effect of pill but a possibility.
So to look into other possibilities like Abortion, Local tears should not be ignored.
So I suggest to go back to GP.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam