What causes prolonged menstrual bleeding despite having normal blood reports?

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I hadn't had a menstrual cycle in almost 7 months, and then had one which lasted over 6 weeks straight. I am also extremely sensitive in my breast area. This happened a couple of years ago, and my cycle lasted for over 5 months with heavy bleeding. My doctor ran bloodwork, and found nothing to be concerned about. Is this typical??
Answered by Dr. Deepak 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.
In my opinion this could happen as you are reaching menopausal age. Average age of reaching menopause is around 47 years.
I would suggest you to undergo Thyroid profile and USG pelvis (if not yet done) to know the cause for this. It is absolutely essential to know your current haemoglobin level before starting any treatment. You would have lost much blood and you could be anaemic.
In these situation we prescribe Tranexemic acid which is a prescription drug.
For pain you can try Mefenemic acid 500mg twice daily.
Please do not wait for bleeding to stop. You should visit your doctor ASAP.
Its not a wise decision (by any doctor) to wait till bleeding stops. You can not afford to loose remaining blood in these situation.

If it is still not responding to medical treatment then your doctor can decide next line of management.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak