What causes prolonged indentation of fingertips upon pressure?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My fingertips are indenting easily. if I press my thumb, it stays flattened for about 10 seconds. It's most notivmcable throughout the day, not as bad in morning or after a bath (still there, but not as bad).
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. It is possible that you are dehydrated and that could be the reason that the elasticity of the tissues is lost, thus resulting in the tone of body parts not returning back to normal after being pressed. If that is the case, taking ORS (oral rehydration solution) should help. Let me know if the urinary frequency is normal at present.

If the tone does not return to normal even after taking ORS, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
depending on my anxiety level, I use the bathroom every couple hours. no difference in that. I had my phone pressed into my thumb and it was still indented 3 minutes later.

What is an oral rehydration solution?

I notice it more on my left thumb and forefinger, but the others on that hand still indent for a while, my right hand does it, but far less.

no swelling in hands anywhere.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a WHO formula

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. ORS or oral rehydration solution is a WHO (World Health Organisation) formula to combat dehydration. The sachets are available over the counter. You need to mix one full XXXXXXX in a liter of water and take the solution sip by sip. It would possibly help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D