What causes prolonged fever?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 63 years old and have been running a fever of 101.7 to 102.9 for six days. Before noticing the fever, I get extremely cold. I have been hospitalized with this condition before, but the outcome was elevated fevers of unknown origin. Any helpful insights?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out CMV and EBV infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

But since you have elevated liver enzymes with recurrent episodes of fever then I would recommend that you get tested for CMV and EBV.. both are viral infections and can cause such elevated liver enzymes and elevated body temperature...

They can also cause muscle ache, fatigue, and swollen lymph nodes ...

In the meanwhile continue with Tylenol and drinking plenty of fluids to help to relieve your body temperature..

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman