What causes prolonged diarrhea and stomach pain?
Following causes to diarrhea&stomach pain...
I am sorry for the situation you are in.
You are reporting to have diarrhea and stomach pain for over 1 month and have tried various drugs while colonoscopy and other tests came back negative.
There are many factors causing diarrhea:
- IBS is the last to be considered after excluding other organic causes
- menopause can also be a cause due to hormonal changes. In fact, it can aggravate or precipitate IBS
- food malabsorption /intolerance is to be excluded through malabsorption tests
- examination of stool for ova/parasites is also recommended to exclude intestinal parasitic infections especially if you have been traveling recently
- stool culture for candida should also be considered as you have been using many antibiotics (Cipro) that might have altered intestinal flora and might have caused candida overgrowth
- new foods/drinks you have been using recently
- diabetes : should run fasting blood sugar, HbA1C, oral glucose tolerance tests
With regards to being fatigued, it might be related to:
- dehydration (if it is hot at the place you live and you sweat alot and due to diarrhea that might have caused electrolytes imbalance)
- hormonal imbalance (you are at the menopause stage)
- anemia (check whole blood work)
- cholecyst problems (infection, stones, sludge)
Hope it helped!
Is an endocrinologist a better choice for care since the colonoscopy is normal?
Yes,consult endocrinologist-next step...
As long as colonoscopy and other lab tests resulted normal, then, should evaluate your feminine hormones levels as you are going through menopause and your thyroid function is fine.
Yes, further evaluation by endocrinologist is highly recommended to exclude metabolic problems.
All the best!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Prolonged diarrhea in adults
- What causes stomach pain diarrhea and severe migraine
- What causes stomach pain diarrhea and flatulence smell
- What is the cause for stomach pain and diarrhea
- What causes orange diarrhea with stomach pain
- What are the causes of prolonged diarrhea
- What causes nausea diarrhea gas and stomach pain
- What causes stomach pains and diarrhea after eating
- What causes stomach pain with bloating and diarrhea
- Causes for prolonged diarrhea
- Have abdominal pain radiating to groin area and aggravating sciatic...
- Chest pain and vomiting. Cardiac test results came normal. On TUMS and...
- Vaginal spotting with bowel movement. Had cryosurgery to remove cervical...
- What are the side effects of taking benzibiotic?
- Getting light vaginal bleeding with bowel movements and abdominal pain....
- History of recurrent cancer, ileostomy and reverse ileostomy. Having...
- Diagnosed with gastritis and hiatal hernia. Having difficulty breathing....
- Having pain due to swollen stomach and told as having a swollen spleen...
- Getting pain from under arm while bending due to lumps. Should I be...
- Suffer abdominal pain and loose stools. Experiencing itchy anus. Prone...