What causes prolonged diarrhea and stomach pain?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had diarrhea and stomach pain for over 1 month. CT scan was non conclusive. Colonoscopy was normal. I also have IBS, extreme fatigue, no appetite. GI wants to see me again in 1 month. I have an apt with an endocrinologist in 10 days because of my fatigue. Thyroid is within normal range. I'm 56 and spend all my time and money going to appts with no results.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to diarrhea&stomach pain...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

You are reporting to have diarrhea and stomach pain for over 1 month and have tried various drugs while colonoscopy and other tests came back negative.

There are many factors causing diarrhea:
- IBS is the last to be considered after excluding other organic causes
- menopause can also be a cause due to hormonal changes. In fact, it can aggravate or precipitate IBS
- food malabsorption /intolerance is to be excluded through malabsorption tests
- examination of stool for ova/parasites is also recommended to exclude intestinal parasitic infections especially if you have been traveling recently
- stool culture for candida should also be considered as you have been using many antibiotics (Cipro) that might have altered intestinal flora and might have caused candida overgrowth
- new foods/drinks you have been using recently
- diabetes : should run fasting blood sugar, HbA1C, oral glucose tolerance tests

With regards to being fatigued, it might be related to:
- dehydration (if it is hot at the place you live and you sweat alot and due to diarrhea that might have caused electrolytes imbalance)
- hormonal imbalance (you are at the menopause stage)
- anemia (check whole blood work)
- cholecyst problems (infection, stones, sludge)

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes prolonged diarrhea and stomach pain? 1 hour later
I am post menopause. Stool samples were negative for parasites, etc. No previous use of antibiotics. Blood tests were all within normal range. The fatigue has been present for several years but now it's worse. I've had IBS for 10 years but attacks usually last 1/2 day in terms of abdominal pain. My gallbladder was removed 5 years ago. No new changes in my diet. Have lost 8 lbs since this started.

Is an endocrinologist a better choice for care since the colonoscopy is normal?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes,consult endocrinologist-next step...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

As long as colonoscopy and other lab tests resulted normal, then, should evaluate your feminine hormones levels as you are going through menopause and your thyroid function is fine.

Yes, further evaluation by endocrinologist is highly recommended to exclude metabolic problems.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida