What causes prolonged coughing along with phlegm and rattling sensation in the throat and ears?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been coughing for months now , with phlegm that dosent come up and when it does it is
round and spongy or long and gluey Also I hear rattling in my throat and in my ears and cant sleep
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please consider the following with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history there are several possibilities which should be examined for your chronic cough:

Alergies, Post nasal drip due to sinusitis,gastric reflux. Sometimes medications for arterial hypertension may cause this kind of cough too.

If you were my patient i would recommend you to evaluate the above with your doctor and to discuss with him.
According to the results than he should guide you further for the right treatment such as :inhalers for alergies, topical sterioids for sinusitis and anti reflux drugs orally for gastric reflux.

I hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 2 hours later
Ive had acid reflux in the past but I dont have the heart burn feeling. I cant seem to take deep breaths and I get out of breath doing one flight of steps. It feels like alot of phelm but nothing comes up. ANd I can hear my breathing in my ears
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

As you explain the history it seems to be an allergic situation that has caused the obstruction of the airways which needs a chest X-Ray and a Spirometry test.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above or you can attach me the results and I will try to help you again

Dr.Jolanda
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 7 minutes later
ve had acid reflux in the past but I dont have the heart burn feeling. I cant seem to take deep breaths and I get out of breath doing one flight of steps. It feels like alot of phelm but nothing comes up. ANd I can hear my breathing in my ears

Could it be thyroid or sophical
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No, I don't think this due to thyroid problems related.

Dr.Jolanda