What causes progressive headache and pain in neck, shoulders post an injury?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I was in a car wreck in 2008, I believe that I had a whiplash from that accident. Progressively my headaches have been getting worse over time. The Doctor ordered an MRI that didn't show anything, he gave me some headache pills and sent me to a Chiropractor. After that didn't help, he sent me to a massage therapist. That worked for a while. But I really don't want to continue seeing that therapist every month for the rest of my life. My headaches are getting worse, my neck is stiff and I can tell that is where the pain is coming from. Looking left hurts more than looking to the right. My neck pops when I move it, and the second opinion Doctor told me not to pop my neck, she felt it was tension and stress. To roll my shoulders forward and backwards. That didn't help at all! The pain comes from the right side of the back of my neck, which results in a terrible headache. Excedrin Migraine pills are the only thing that will touch and relieve the pain. But I am having to take many a day, which I know isn't good. Now for the past two weeks I am having numbness in my left hand. My pinkey and ring finger are numb. Sometimes the whole hand will go numb, then there are times that I feel like something is crawling on my hand and I check, but nothing is there.
The headaches are affecting my life in a bad way, they are getting worse, and now with the numbness in my left hand, I am having problems at work because I really have to focus on my left hand and my typing.
Any Ideas?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cervical epidural injections. Consider instability.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, instability of your cervical spine ( spondylolysthesis ) is a possible condition that needs to be evaluated further.

Dynamic x-rays of the cervical spine (flexion and extended position) are needed to evaluate this possibility.

Besides physical therapy, I think you should discuss with your Doctor about considering epidural spinal injections in order to achieve a longer period of relief from the pain.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee