What causes profuse sweating while on Lexipro?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: can lexipro cause the following things to happen--i am taking 5 mg and doctor want me to go to 10 mg

sweating and hot feeling even though weather is hot in oregon--how long does the side effect last
can it cause gauging when you brush your teeth
i seem to be very hyper in the morning--and lots of anxiety
dont fall asleep right away takes a couple oif hours

thanks for your advice
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

When first starting an antidepressant, some people experience a paradoxical increase in anxiety temporarily, which can include symptoms like hot flushing. This has to do with receptors in the brain getting used to the medication. These symptoms typically go away within a week, or improve if the dose of the medication is increased. I would follow your doctor's advice and increase the dose.

Dr Sheppe

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T