• question-icon

What causes profuse sweating after taking Adderall?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I take adderall and it makes me sweat profusely. Is there anything I could take that is similar that won't make me sweat? I have ADHD.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Strattera is a non-stimulant medication that is used to treat ADHD. As it does not activate the sympathetic nervous system like Adderall does, I would not expect it to cause sweating. It is likely to help symptoms of ADHD which is great. I recommend talking to your doctor about trying this medication instead.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 25 minutes later
I have used Strattera before and it made me feel like a zombie. Didn't like it all. Adderall works well for me the sweating is just unmanageable.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Another alternative is guanfacine. This is sometimes useful for ADHD and is not a stimulant so does not cause sweating.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist