What causes profuse nasal bleeding while having high blood pressure?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Yesterday I had a rather profuse nosebleed. I was discussing GED students with fellow teachers. One of the teachers ran across the street to the local fire station to get a medic. He came over checked by blood pressure which he said was very high. I don’t remember if he said any numbers. He asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I didn’t feel bad or sick. He then suggested I go to one of the critical care units if I had additional nose bleeds or feel dizzy, etc. I had no additional nose bleeds and my blood pressure has been running 183/117 to 152/89 (the latest). I went to the medical building to sign up for a doctor…we are snowbirds here and have no official doctors. I have an appointment to see a doctor on April 20th for the issue. I take one 25MG ER metoprolol after dinner. Do you think I need to see someone at the critical care unit? Or is waiting until April 20 is reasonable for seeing a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to Visit your nearest ER/Critical Care Unit at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query , a really well composed one, considering this gravity of situation you're in to .. I can understand your concern,

Now this blood pressure range of yours, despite multiple anti-hypertensives , is needed to be controlled with introduction of new agent or optimization of older regime after through physical examination and complete observation of the trend of Blood pressure and symptoms..

Yes, the student was right indeed..

However , in my opinion , you should not wait till 20th April and please visit your nearest Critical Care Unit for a rather prompt management, which will also help you to optimize this Blood Pressure issue, as well as beneficial in avoiding any further complications(already one has happened, the nose bleed , so don't let another one to happen )..

I believe I've made myself clear in this regard.. Please let me know if you have any doubts , I'll be glad to clarify..

Let me know how you stay in the due course, also I'd advice you not to blow the nose under any circumstances and better not to drive on your own till fully recovered..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee