What causes profuse bleeding during urination?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: This past Sunday I began bleeding profusely when I urinated. The next day I saw my primary physician who prescribed me an antibiotic and Flomax and had me give an urine sample and set me up for an ultra sound.

I did both and saw a urologist on Wednesday. He gave me a digital exam, took a urine sample and I have a cat scan set for Monday. The urine tests were negative for bacteria.

Questions: The antibiotic stopped the bleeding quickly so if I do not have an infection what caused the bleeding and what stopped it? Also, from the least serious to the most serious, what would do you think is the ailment I have? I am seeing another urologist this Wednesday and the first urologist has set me up for a cystocopy in two weeks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mostly due to Enlarged Prostate

Detailed Answer:

Hello
Thanks for query .
XXXXXXX hematuria in elderly patient is mostly due to rupture of one of the superficial vein on the surface of Enlarged Prostate which is always congested This ruptured vein usually gets sealed off immediately making it a single episode of hematuria..

However the other common cause like cancer of the bladder has to be ruled out by doing endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy).

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.