What causes pricking sensation on the forehead?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi
my wife is complaining about pricking sensation on forehead both left and right side. it not continuous. it's comes and goes off in few min. this happens quite no of times every day.
she s having eye allergy. we visited eye hospital 2 weeks back. they prescribed few medicine .

she underwent Cesarian delivery 3months back.

is this head ache because of eye allergy issue or anything related to delivery?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly related to allergy, otherwise muscular headache likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at Healthcaremagic.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Headaches are most of the time benign and not due to serious causes even though they can really be bothersome and affect daily activities and quality of life.

I do not think the headaches your wife is having is due to the cesarian section she had 3 months ago.

As for the eye allergy- this headache might be related if she has also allergic rhinosinusitis. Many patients that have eye allergy have also allergic rhinosinusitis. Allergic Rhinosinusitis causes sneezing, coughing, nose blocking, nose itchiness and also heaviness on the face and above the eyebrows.

If your wife has the symptoms related to allergic rhinosinusitis than she will need to have some antihistamine like Loratadine daily at night for 2-3 weeks and see if any improvement with it.
Another medication that might help with allergic rhinosinusitis is nasal spray with steriods (flixonase) twice a day and see if any improvement of the symptoms. Adding nasal saline lavage 2-3 times a day would help with this also.

If your wife does not have the symptoms related to allergic rhinosinusitis than the headaches are not related to the allergy she has and the most common cause is tensive headache which is a muscular pain.
In this case having some Ibuprofen and paracetamol when pain starts is helpful (have ibuprofen after food to not hurt the stomach)
If this pain is daily and really bothersome than your wife needs to have a check with a doctor to rule out neck problems and also have some exercises to relax neck muscles as many times when these are tight cause headaches (a physiotherapist is the best one to give those exercises). Local warm compresses might be helpful also .

Another cause I would not forget is that your wife is having a new child that probably demands sleepless nights and extra work to do so sharing duties at home and supporting her might be sometimes the best treatment. Also be mindful of medications she uses in case she is breastfeeding. Almost all the medications I mentioned above are OK with breastfeeding if they are necessary.

I hope this is helpful to you and answers to your question but I would be glad to answer if anymore clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng